The Longest Worst Weekend

The Longest Worst Weekend

I’m hard-pressed to think of a weekend that was more horrible than the one we just had.

It was full of scares, stress, frustrations, and worries. It was long with little sleep. It was, to put it mildly, miserable.

The weekend started early with the worst three-day weekend excuse ever- dad needed emergency eye surgery.

See, he gets these injections in his eyes, and the one he got last week got infected. So we had to get him to Little Rock (3 hours away) ASAP for emergency eye surgery. Normally, not a huge deal, except that it had snowed and iced the night before in central AR. So mom was unable to drive herself. So she called us at 5 a.m, and Tyler had to drive.  Mom was stressed, so I went to make sure she was taken care of.

We set out at 6 a.m and thankfully, drove 2 hours without any winter weather. But once we hit Conway, the roads were AWFUL. Tyler is great driving in it, but I was a mess- just praying in the passenger seat because cars were in the ditch left and right. This picture doesn’t look awful, but it was a solid sheet of ice.

We made it to the eye hospital around 8:30/9 a.m..and they got dad right back. Because of the weather, there weren’t a ton of other patients there. He had the surgery and we were on our way.

We were concerned about the anesthesia during the surgery because we know it can have adverse reactions with his Alzheimer’s…but he had to have the surgery to save his vision. It was a risk we had to take.

Well, the ride home was fine. Dad seemed ok (though he was hallucinating some), but once we got home- everything changed.

We tried to make him calm and comfortable at home, but it was like a monster was inside of him. He was anxious, worried, volatile, wouldn’t let us help him, wouldn’t let us give him the medicine he so badly needed.  He also was hallucinating worse and talking non-stop to people that weren’t there.

After 12 long hours of dealing with him at home, it was unsafe to keep him at home any longer.

At 4 a.m Saturday morning, we called an ambulance. The trouble was, that dad just seemed like a progressed Alzheimer’s patient…no one seemed to understand that this was a DRASTIC change from the day before.  EMS almost didn’t want to bring him to the hospital.

Then once we were at the ER, it was HOURS before we got any help for him. It was awful.  He wouldn’t settle and mom and I were fighting to keep him in his bed.  They actually had to bring in a tech to stay in the room with us to keep dad safe.

They tried drugging him- two doses of haldol, a valium, and benadryl didn’t touch him. He was still bouncing off the walls and going crazy.

We finally got him admitted at 8:30 a.m., but then we had to wait for a room. And since he was technically admitted, the ER staff was no longer providing care…so he wasn’t getting any help.

It. Was. Torture.  At 12:30 (4 hours after being admitted…and 8 hours after arriving), I went CRAZY.  I called the head nurse and complained about the care we weren’t getting in the ER and pushed for dad to get a room ASAP.  Well, 30 minutes later he was in a room.

Once we got into a room, he has gotten stellar care.  They actually are keeping someone in room with him 24/7 since he has tried getting out of bed and pulling out his IV. He isn’t settling down much, but is much more calm.

Yesterday we were thrown for a loop when they told us he has only been admitted for observation, not as an inpatient- which complicates things when he gets released from the hospital. Because at this point, they are saying there isn’t anything medically wrong with him…but in this state, it’s still unsafe for him to return home.

We are hoping the mix of him not being able to see paired with the effects of the anesthesia is the main issue. However, both of those things take time to heal and wear off. There may also be a couple other residual issues…the doctors are checking on those things today. Part of me hopes they find something so they will admit him- giving us more options when he gets released.

Either way, we are needing prayers for him. Prayers that his eye and his mind would heal. Prayers for wise and keen doctor staff who can find if there’s an issue.  Prayers that everything would work out. And prayers for my momma, who is taking the brunt of this stress.


Anyway, I’m hoping better days are ahead of us.




  1. I will be keeping your family in my thoughts, Brittney. Sending lots of good vibes your way.

  2. Goodness Britt, good healthcare shouldn’t be that difficult to come by 🙁 I’m praying for all of you, and for the doctors and medical staff.

  3. My goodness girl. You guys have really been put through the ringer. Prayers for your dad, mom and you. Hope he can get the help he needs and that you and your mom can get some rest and some peace. Thoughts and prayers coming your way from Northeast Arkansas.

  4. sharon walters :

    Your father is SO BLESSED to have you and your mother as his advocates during this painful journey that not only he, but you both are taking with him. Please know that you have another prayer warrior to add to your list! KEEP THE FAITH!

  5. Oh my gosh…this sounds SO awful. I’m so sorry, Brittney. This must be so tough for your family. 🙁

    • Thanks, Erika. It’s been tough, but we are being carried by God, lots of prayers, and Chick-fil-a (which thankfully, is right across the street from the hospital).

Speak Your Mind